homeAbout UsTeachingPartiesFor the HomeFreebies

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Friday Freebie {9-11}

This coming Sunday marks the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on 9-11.  I still remember vividly where I was when the attacks happened.  

I was student teaching at the time and my kids were in specials.  I was in the library with my Mentoring Teacher watching the horror unfold on the TV screen.  I was teaching 3rd grade and my mentor said that we weren't going to tell the kids, so I tried to pull it together in a hurry.  Then, just as we had gotten the kids back to their seats, a parent volunteer came storming in and asking us (in a very loud voice) if we knew about the plane crashes.  So much for our plan...we had to tell the kids (a brief version) about what had happened.  We felt like their parents could explain in more detail if they so desired.  


I will NEVER forget the looks on their 8-year-old faces (confusion, fright, sadness).  I knew what I was feeling and it had to be quadrupled for them!  Anyway, I asked my mentor if I could plan a lesson/craft based on what had happened for the next day.  We were all going to remember this and I felt like we needed to help the kids understand.


So,  I made a huge flag out of butcher paper to hang in the hallway.  Then, I asked the kids to draw something about the events of 9-11 on white paper and also to write one word about the day on a star.  This is how it turned out. (I apologize for the terrible quality of these pics ~ camera technology sure has come a long way in 10 years.)


The next year, when I had my very first class of Kinders, we made a hand-print flag out of a sheet that I will forever cherish and display proudly in my classroom!

For today's freebie, I saw an awesome idea for a 9-11 family project at What the Teacher Wants.  It may be better for older kids, but I'm sure you could adapt it for those little ones!

I am so grateful today for all the heroes of that terrible day...firefighters, police, & the people of NYC!  I'm also grateful for the soldiers who fight daily to protect our country from anything ever happening like this again!  Please say a prayer for those out there directly impacted by that day, who lost loved ones, and still miss them beyond measure.  WE WILL NEVER FORGET!!!   

Just so I don't leave you feeling depressed (like I am right now after writing that), I do have some good news today!  My APPLE FUN UNIT is done and ready for purchase in our Teacher's Notebook Shop.  It is 26 pages for Pre-K, K, & 1st and includes...


As usual, we are having an introductory sale (15% off) from today (9-9) till next Friday (9-15).  Hurry...you don't want to miss all the apple-y fun!    Click HERE to view!  :)  Ta-ta for now! 
Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. Love your creative flags! I'm hosting a linky to commemorate 9-11 in the classroom, your post would be perfect, Teach, Remember, Share
    Vanessa @pre-kpages.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say congratulations on being named the Shop of the Week on Teachers Notebook!! You have the sweetest products and I just love your stuff! Fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thanks so much for the shout out! :) I love your handprint idea!!!
    -Rachelle
    whattheteacherwants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. The flag you had the third grade class make ten years ago is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These two colleges offer a wide choice of online degree projects to take into account the distinctive instructive needs of the inhabitants. Then again, human expressions are dynamic and thriving in the close-by area of Scottsdale. www.usacheckcashingstore.com/san-diego

    ReplyDelete